Adversity. Tenacity. Success. Sound familiar? These descriptors fit Watermark women to a “T.” But these are also the themes of a new book coming out in January by a certain influential American icon. Here’s a hint: she went from little girl in a Bronx housing project to being the first Hispanic, and the third woman ever to become a U.S. Supreme Court Justice.
She is, of course, Justice Sonia Sotomayor. And just days after the (January 15, 2013) release of her new book My Beloved World: A Memoir, she will speak to a Watermark audience about topics dear to each Watermark heart, including:
- Her deeply valued mentors
- Where she draws her inspiration and resolve (in the face of seemingly insurmountable challenges)
- Her vision of America today—still one of ever-infinite possibility
Watermark women are bound together by our experiences of: institutional adversity, exceptional tenacity, and extraordinary success.
That being the case, then each Watermark woman should be forever united in soul sisterhood with Justice Sonia Sotomayor.
Don’t miss this unique opportunity to join in kinship, in inspiration, and in empowerment, with indisputably one of our country’s most important women of our time.
More on Sotomayor—at a glance.
- Cardinal Spellman High School, Bronx, NY, valedictorian.
- Princeton University, B.A. 1976, summa cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa, M. Taylor Pyne Prize (Princeton’s highest academic honor)
- Yale Law School, J.D. 1979, she served as an editor of the Yale Law Journal.
- Yale Law School, L.L.D. 1999
- Assistant District Attorney in the New York County District Attorney’s Office. 1979–1984.
- Associate, then later Partner at private firm Pavia & Harcourt in New York City. 1984–1992.
- U.S. District Court Justice, Southern District of New York. 1992–1998. Nominated by President George H.W. Bush
- U.S. Court of Appeals Justice for the Second Circuit. 1998–2009.
- Associate Justice of the Supreme Court. From August 8, 2009 to present. Nominated by President Barack Obama.
Organizations: American Bar Association, Association of Hispanic Judges, Hispanic Bar Association, New York Women’s Bar Association, American Philosophical Society
This January 29th, take advantage of this Watermark opportunity to meet a woman who is empowered, supremely. Join our upcoming Watermark Speaker Series with Justice Sonia Sotomayor.
Pricing & Registration
Prestige & Concierge Members: Complimentary
Premier & Sponsor Members: $50
Basic Members: $80
Never stop growing.
Photo credit: Elena Seibert